Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Everyday Life

I have found an everyday life in Grand Popo. I work, eat, swim, sleep, talk a lot of shaise, drive my moppe, hang around, drink a few glasses of wine now and then, and most of all I socialize. I socialize at work, well that is my job, I socialize on the streets as the habit is to greet every single one that passes you by and I socialize at home as I have shared the house with a couple (African lady and a French man) that invites half of the village to the house. There is music, hairdressing, food, laughter and a hell lot of people. Most of the time it is fun and a very good way to get to know the people in the village, but sometimes the extremely loud music makes me escape my house. Everyone has though been very friendly and I have had many many lunches and dinners with half of all the relatives. In a few days they will move out and in moves the next loud group. Hah!

Well I think that might actually be very pleasant. Gildas (guide Guildas for those who know him) is moving in the 15th and his wife to be, Jaana from Finland, arrives on the 24th with a friend. They are staying 2 months. I will have the chance to witness an African-Finnish wedding which will be very exciting. Gildas knows everyone is the village, has thousands of friends and plays the drums so I have been told that the house will be filled with music and people. At least I am not lonely!

My moped, Nisse, is quite a happy camper. It has only been about 3-4 times a week to the mechanist… well just smaller illnesses, nothing serious. Nisse is suffering from aging, the heat and would much rather just rest. Instead I make him roll in sand and darkness.

I am in good health and in a good mood and lately I have also had a lot of work which is quite nice. I definitely prefer being busy than just sitting around. Last weekend I made an overnight trip to Porto Novo and the village of Hêtin. A very successful trip and Porto Novo is a very nice city, far nicer than traffic and pollution mad Cotonou.

I am actually enjoying Benin to the point that I am considering staying for a few years. I don’t have studies, work or a relationship waiting for me in Finland so why not stay if I would find an interesting job. Interesting job could signify an international organisation, for example a NGO on human rights, a culture institute or something else. I have not yet checked all possibilities but time will tell. Maybe I am happy to return to good old Turku in 6 more months… or than not! Sometimes I do miss my everyday life in Turku. Most of all friends, all wonderful friends that it is so easy to hang out with, but I also miss Bristol, Kerttulin kievari, the simplicity of going to Siwa, reissumies, yoghurt, Aakkoset (for some strange reason) kvinnis and its people. But oh dear can’t even imagine how much I would miss Benin if I would be in rainy Turku. We shall see how things work out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

och var simmar du??? undrar jag som aldrig vågade mig ut i det vida havet. hälsa gildas och alla hans tusen vänner, snart hänger jag också där i din kämppä... kanske du kan låna min i stället.

eisande!
jabo

Anonymous said...

Marina! Jag ser på BBC att du har Bush där på besök! Berätta, berätta! Och ha det bra!

Karin said...

Moo!!! Kiva namn du har satt på moppen, hahahha, väldigt passande.
Ska jag skicka Aakkoset på posten åt dig :)? kram kram

Anonymous said...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7233565.stm
mopeds rule!!!
moi moi
s.lump :)

ponks said...

voi huhhu jag har närapå tårar i ögonen när jg läser vad du har skrivit. så jääkla fint att du har det så bra där. känner precis igen det där med att man saknar sånt som att gå till siwa... man kan ju inte precis ha en "antisocial dag" i benin!
nu fick jag en såndän lust att dra ner dit igen.