Friday, February 29, 2008

Sleepless nights

I have been having sleepless nights. Or let’s say that I do fall asleep relatively early, around 11 or 12 but then I wake up at 2 or 3 in the morning and can’t sleep anymore. Frustrating. So what is on my mind? Well maybe better to ask, what is not on my mind. Seems like I have the world in my head. Maybe drinking wine and reading Kierkegaard isn’t the best after all. It is not uncommon for me to not sleep as I have sleeping problems since teenage years, but until now I have slept like a baby here. Maybe Lariam is finally starting to show its brighter sides… I have had a few hallucinations but nothing more serious. I hope it stays at this. Maybe sleeplessness is also caused by the fact that it is now bloody hot at nights and my fan sucks. Last night there were also heavy rains and massive thunders. It looked like the sky had a disco. At least today the air is very fresh but also very humid. We are a sweaty bunch of people.

Maarit left and the bed suddenly feels very big. Where is that little blond thing that I used to accidentally hit during the night? I do get lots of new bed partner offers, but nah, alone is good. Unfortunately everyone doesn’t get the no and keep on trying until I completely loose my nerves. At least no one enters my bedroom when they hang around the house. They kindly stay behind the mosquito net-door and wouldn’t even dare to touch it. Good good.

I have a lot of nice programs in front on me. Tomorrow after work I will go with Boris to the Saturday market and then go home to his place and assist him cook dinner for his family. Will be exciting to see his place and watch him cook African style. His mother is crazy about me as she thinks I will be the future wife. Sorry mum, Boris is not the one for me. It will be nice though to meet his family. The same evening there is the monthly concert at Villa Karo and on Sunday I will take a motorboat to “bouche de roi” which is where the sea meets the river. It is supposed to be one of the most beautiful places here in the area. I will spend the day swimming, eating pick nick food and simply relaxing. On Monday evening I’ll go to Cotonou to welcome the new arriving Finnish scholar and on Tuesday I will be back in Grand Popo. Pas mal de program! I can’t believe it is almost march. Where is time disappearing? Well at least days are longer now that I don’t sleep… Bon, ce n’est pas grave. Sleep comes and goes like most things in life. Sometimes you have more of it, almost too much and something you lack it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hej Marina!
Roligt att läsa din blogg. Mera sånt!
Här i Åbo har det snöat?! Det är inte vardagsmat precis. Är på snabbvisit i mitt eget hem...är ju kattvakt och inneboende hos Siv när hon är i Benin.
Hälsa henne att katterna och vikarie-matte mår bra!
Må så bra du också och sov gott!
Mia

Karin said...

Hej Marina!
Hälsningar från ett snöigt Hfors. Jag har det bra. Har haft Sara på besök i helgen.
Sköt om dig vännen, och hoppas sömnen infinner sig snart!

Kram
Karin

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.. Lariambiverkningar, eller kanske det är woodoo!? =) hehe.. det var så roligt att snacka några ord på mese! Made my day! Ha det bra, och höres snart igen! Kram från Fredde

Anonymous said...

Hei hämähäkinliiskaaja:)

Onko löytynyt uusia eläinkunnan tuttavuuksia kämpiltä viime aikoina? Toivottavasti beninin ruokaspesiaalin valmistelu sujuu mallikkaasti. Kummasti luminen keli tuntui saapuvan yhtä aikaa takkuilevan Air Francen kanssa, joten aika raikkaan talviselta näyttää.
Bisous ja tsemppiä!
Pikkuhinkkaaja

Anonymous said...

Hej Marina! Jag sag ocksa en jatte spindel utanfor vart hus haromdagen, som tur behovde jag inte slas med den utan bara springa ivag hysteriskt skrikande oh my god!!! (grannen horde). Men nu under trekken som jag ar pa far ja nog rakna med att vanja mig vid buggsen, har redan haft en del obehagliga encounters med jattetrollslandor i duschen etc. Kram!