Thursday, May 29, 2008

Electricity cuts, tired moped and storms

The amounts of electricity cuts are ridiculous. For a few weeks we have only been having about 1 to 2 hours of electricity per day. Sleeping is impossible as it gets around 50 degrees in my bedroom, which means that one has to get up one or two times per night to take a shower. Last week the temperature during the day in the shade was closer to 40 degrees, now it feels much cooler as the rain has cleared the air. The last night’s intense wind and noteworthy amount of rain has really cooled the temperature remarkably. Last night I actually pulled my cover all the way up to my ears as it felt so cold. What a great feeling to lie in bed under the cover and hear the wind in the palm trees, the waves hit the beach and the rain hammering through my roof. It makes me think of autumn. Autumn that I enjoy so much with falling leaves, strong wind and cosy evening around candle light. But when I get to work at 8 am it is already hot and the sweating starts.

The darkness in the evenings is also impressive. I can’t even see my own hand in front of me when standing in the middle of my house in the evenings. The occasional light from the moon makes it though much brighter. I never get use to the fact that when walking home at night you don’t see anyone before they are in your face saying bonsoir and you see their bright teeth in the shape of a smile. Often I roll around with Nisse and seldom walk at night, but occasionally I leave the moped at home if I am going somewhere close. Nisse has been working quite well lately, except that the speed meter has been dead for a month, the side mirrors keep on falling down and the fact that I have to run to get it started. Yesterday it got tired on the way home and simply stopped, the motor just died. A bunch of boys came to my rescue and tried to start it with no success. Finally I decided to push it home but got irritated after 50meters and decided to try one more time to get it started. And wroom, no problem, Nisse was back on track. Lots of people have asked about Nisse’s future when I leave, but I have decided to give it to someone that gives it to his father who is sick and has needed a moped for quite some time. Feels like a good decision. Nisse will be in good hands.

Soon my time at Villa Karo comes to an end. All the things I have seen, learned and experienced during these five months. A lot! And still there is more to come, much more. Can’t even imagine leaving this place and the people, really not. The thought of it makes it turn around in my stomach, even though the new job in Helsinki and all the things it will bring is something I look forward to. If I could only take some sunshine, some laughter, the sea, drums, reggae, friends and loved ones, colours, pâte de maïs, fish, pima, culi culi, aloko, Lion bar, Nisse and so much with me to Finland in a bag. Oh how much I will miss it all!

2 comments:

T&M said...

Kul att hitta en blog om Benin :) Hittade hit via Fredrik Jenséns blog... Bodde själv i Togo 1999-2000 och besökte Grand Popo ett antal gånger, hann själv aldrig tyvärr uppleva Villa Karos invigning... bodde där på hotellet när jag hörde någon på terassen som talade finska, och så var det ju grundaren själv :)

Tack i varjefall för en intressant blog :)

Ted

melekler korusun final said...

thank you