Monday, May 19, 2008

Buying potatoes in Grand Popo

Cooking in great fun even though it is about 55 degree Celsius in the kitchen and so humid that you look like you have been taking a shower. To get ingredients for the cooking isn’t always that evident though. On Sunday I got an urge to make a real Finnish style potato salad so I though I just quickly stop by the petit marché next to my house. Firstly I greeted everyone that crossed my potato search and some for longer time than others. Then I heard the horrible news that there are no potatoes to be found. I was so desperate for potato salad so I didn’t give up. I continued my walk. Then I met a lady that knew me for somewhere that took me to her home to greet her family and when they heard that I didn’t find potatoes they decided to do anything possible to help me, so the ladies’ youngest daughter was sent to help me. The daughter took me on a long walk. Finally after a long, but very nice, walk we found a lady that had lots of potatoes in her living room, but nothing else. At this time I didn’t want to mention that I also want to buy garlic so I bought a kilo of potatoes and got an enormous avocado for free because it was so nice of me to come all this way to buy potatoes. So yes, buying potatoes in Grand Popo can take 1.5 hours, no doubt. It was anyways a nice evening walk, and the potato salad was well received so I was happy that I hade made the effort.
In the beginning I didn’t see a point of cooking as it is so hot in the kitchen and as I can get a great meal for 80 cent. But now after 4.5 months I have started to cook more and more as the rice and fish twice a day is definitely good but sometimes a bit monotonous. Variation is nice.

Yes, by the way, if anyone hears something about a flat in Helsinki from august of September, please let me know. From mid June I can no longer be reached on my Beninese number; so call my Finnish mobile if something.